print thisprint this

Financial Aid

Please stop by the Admissions Office at the Law School, located in the Student Services Center, if you have any questions about your loans.  Also, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office at 216-687-2304 or at admissions@law.csuohio.edu if you have any questions or concerns prior to First Years' First Week.

If you borrowed an amount in excess of tuition and all of the paperwork was completed in a timely manner, a refund check will be mailed to you in late August 2012 at the address in the University computer system (you can check and update your address on CampusNet—see below). Please be prepared to cover expenses like apartments, books, and parking permits prior to your refund check disbursement.

  • back to top


Loan Deferments & Insurance Forms

Please leave forms that require a certification of enrollment in the “In Box” on the door of the Law School Records Office, LB 142 in the Student Services Center.  Before leaving the form, be sure to (1) date & sign the form; (2) provide a stamped, addressed envelope with the form; and (3) place the envelope, with the deferment form enclosed, in the “In Box.”

Do not fill in any portion that is to be completed by the school.  The Records Office will complete and submit the forms.  Please allow 5-7 days for processing and mailing.  We can only certify for the Fall term; you will need to provide another form prior to Spring term.

Questions should be directed to Marcie Rechner at marcie.rechner@law.csuohio.edu

  • back to top


Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association Mentor Program

The Mentor Program is a wonderful opportunity for you to be mentored by a Cleveland-Marshall alumnus who practices law in the Cleveland area and who understands what you are going through; plus, this is an amazing networking opportunity.

Review the details of the program and the registration form at http://www.cmlaa.org/.  If you have any questions, please contact Mary McKenna at mary.mckenna@law.csuohio.edu.

  • back to top


Campus Map

See the Campus Map for the location of University buildings and parking areas on campus.  In particular, note the location of the main library in Rhodes Tower, the Student Center, and the Recreation Center – locations you may use on a regular basis while a student at C|M|LAW.

  • back to top


Cleveland State University ID

In order to acquire your CSU ID, take your class schedule, mailed to you in July, and driver’s license (or other picture ID) to the Viking Card Office, located in the Main Classroom Building. The office is open daily 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Your student identification number is located on your Notice of Admission, sent to you upon admission, and included on your class schedule mailed in July.

You are welcome to get your ID prior to August 13 if you have time.  You will need your CSU ID to use the libraries (law and main library) and athletic facilities on campus, and to obtain a CSU parking permit.  You can also load money onto your card to use at food service locations throughout the campus and at a number of merchants near the University.  See http://www.csuohio.edu/vcard/ for more information.

When you get your ID, you MUST identify yourself as a first year law student so that it can be coded to give you access to the Legal Writing Department Suite on the ground level of the law school.

  • back to top


CampusNet, Campus411 and Campus Mail Bag

Cleveland State University’s interactive computer system gives you access to personal, account and academic information online.  You can update personal information (address and phone number, e.g.), pay bills, and, for future terms, register for your classes, view your transcript, etc., using CampusNet. Please make sure to update your new Cleveland address when you have one so you receive all relevant correspondence in a prompt manner.

To use CampusNet, you need to know your CSU ID number and set up a password by calling CSU’s Information Systems and Technology (IS&T) Call Center at 216-687-5050. Your student identification number is located on your Notice of Admission, sent to you upon admission, and will be re-sent to you in mid-July. Please visit their website for more information. For a basic help, please review the help sheet.

While most student services are available in the law school’s Student Services Center, Campus411, located on the first floor of the Main Classroom Building, is staffed with University student services personnel trained to assist with a variety of administrative problems. If you have any questions, simply dial 5411 on campus, or 216-687-5411 anywhere else.

University-wide announcements and events are posted on Campus Mail Bag, which is at available online, and emailed to you weekly .

  • back to top


Parking Permit

You can register your vehicle and acquire your hangtab for on campus parking through CampusNet.  We encourage you to do this prior to August 13 - Parking Services will mail you the hangtag and save you the trouble of going to their office. It's so convenient! If you have any problems with purchasing your Hangtag through CampusNet, contact Parking Services at 216-687-2023. They will gladly walk you though the process. For further information on rates and to see a map of all parking on campus, go to http://www.csuohio.edu/parking

Vehicles can also be registered and hangtags obtained in the Parking Services Office in the Chester Building Annex, Mondays through Fridays, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Students must complete a registration form and present a CSU ID number, a picture ID (CSU ID card or driver’s license), and a copy of student’s course schedule to register a vehicle and obtain a hangtag. 

  • back to top



All law students wil obtain a U-PASS that allows them to ride free of charge on all Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority buses and rapid trains during the Fall or Spring Semesters (a new pass is required for each term).  The fee for the pass is included in University fees.  Information on getting the U-Pass from the University Office of Treasury Services is available at http://www.csuohio.edu/services/u-pass/.

Bus and rapid information and schedules are available here.

  • back to top


Health Insurance

Information packets are also available in the Student Services Center in the law school and at Health and Wellness Services, located in Room 153 in the Cleveland State University Science Research Building.  You can register for the insurance through CSU’s CampusNet; the Insurance tab is located next to the parking tab.

For more detailed plan information please view the insurer’s website.

  • back to top



During First Year's First Week, representatives from the Student Bar Association will be available in the Student Lounge, on the ground floor of the Law Building, to collect money for locker rentals and to assign locker numbers/combinations.  The fee is $20.00 for a yearly rental.

  • back to top



You can check the CSU Bookstore’s website for the materials, books and/or photocopied materials required for your courses.  Simply use the personalized class schedule sent to you in lateJuly.  In addition, you may log into your CampusNet account to view booklists.  Books for all law school courses are stocked at the CSU Bookstore, located at East 24th & Euclid Avenue. 

In addition, the Student Bar Association will have its annual used Book Sale during Orientation.  The SBA will also sell books during the first week of classes during regular office hours; the SBA office is located in Room LL120A in the Law Library.  Hard-bound and soft-bound textbooks will sell for $45 and $25 respectively; all other items (commercial outlines, nutshells, hornbooks, etc.) will sell for $15.

Photocopied course materials are available for sale at the Information Desk in the Student Services Center.  We cannot accept cash or credit card payments at the law school.  You must pay by check payable to Cleveland State University or pay in cash at the University Treasury Services Office in University Center and bring the receipt to the Student Services Center.

  • back to top


Term Calendar and Exam Schedule

It may seem early to be planning for Thanksgiving break or traveling for the holidays, but you should check the Academic Calendar for dates when classes are canceled, or when you get days off, during the term.

You should also check the Final Exam Schedule for the dates of your final exams for Fall Semester.  You are expected to be here for your final exams (no exceptions allowed!) so do not plan a vacation or trip home until after your last scheduled exam.

  • back to top


Computer Recommendations/Information

Buying a laptop computer for law school shouldn't be stressful, so we make it easy on you! Both Windows and Apple computers are compatible with the University's wireless network and with the software used in the law school. 

Law school computing generally involves word processing, Internet research, and email - none of which require a top-of-the-line computer. The physical weight of the laptop (which you will be carrying every day) tends to take priority over processing power.  If you plan to bring an older computer to school please note that the exam software used at the law school requires Windows XP, Vista, Mac OS 10.4 - Tiger, or 10.5 - Leopard.   If you wish to take advantage of the wireless network, you will need to have a computer with either an internal or external wireless network card.

  • back to top


Disability Accommodations

Any student with a disability who wishes to request accommodations for class sessions and/or examinations must contact Assistant Dean Jean Lifter, LB 143 in the Student Services Center, to submit documentation of his or her disability and to request specific accommodations.  Documentation and accommodation requests will be forwarded to the University Coordinator of the Office of Disability Services (you may submit documentation and accommodation requests directly to the Office of Disability Services if you prefer).

Generally a request for accommodations must be submitted a minimum of four weeks before the date for which the accommodation is requested to allow for review and evaluation of the documentation and accommodations requested and for submission of additional documentation, if necessary.

The Cleveland State University Handbook for Students with Disabilities is available online along with additional information on Disability Services available at the great Cleveland State University.

  • back to top


Ohio Residency Status

If you came from out of state to attend C|M|LAW, you may be categorized as a non-resident and you will pay higher tuition than Ohio residents. Under certain circumstances, you may qualify as an Ohio resident – either now or in the future.  Most new, non-resident students will not qualify for in-state tuition rates until their second year at C|M|LAW.

You can review the criteria for establishing residency in Ohio and fill out the petition online at http://www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar/residence/ There is a link for frequently asked questions and the petition to change residency status is available from this same link.  If you have any questions, contact Campus411 at 216-687-5411.  Mail / fax all documentation to: Cleveland State University - Campus 411  2121 Euclid Avenue, MC 115   Cleveland, OH 44115-2214 or fax them to (216) 687-5491.

  • back to top