Unexpected expenses don't have to mean deciding between staying in law school and struggling or dropping out to pay bills. C|M|LAW has an Emergency Financial Assistance Fund program, created by Dean Fisher and the Advancement Team, to which currently enrolled law students may apply for assistance. If you are experiencing a financial emergency - an unforeseen expense that, if not resolved quickly, could lead to your departure from the law school and loss of momentum toward completion - this grant is designed to provide an opportunity to apply for some assistance.
The number of students who can be served by the Student Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds. The fund must be sustained by continual contributions from alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends of Cleveland-Marshall. See below for more detail about how to contribute to the fund.
The application form for this grant fund, which details potentially eligible costs, important information regarding process, and requirements to apply, is here. Documentation is required to demonstrate the specific emergency costs, and, when a grant is awarded, payment is typically made directly to the entity/organization where those costs have been incurred.
If you are currently receiving financial aid, please be aware that receiving funding from the Emergency Financial Assistance Fund may affect your future aid packages and funds received may be taxed as income.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled law students.
- Applicants must have an immediate financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected critical incident.
- The expense must be unexpected, unforeseen, and the urgent nature unavoidable.
- All other resources, including emergency loans through Cleveland State’s Office of Financial Aid, Lift Up Vikes! Resource Center and Food Pantry, and the Fowler Emergency Fund must have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.
- Applicants must complete all questions in full and submit supporting documentation.
- Applicants must not have previously received Student Emergency Funds from C|M|LAW.
For questions regarding your application and to submit your final application to be considered by the Emergency Financial Fund Committee, contact Assistant Dean Sarah Dylag Beznoska at email@example.com