- Current & Admitted Students
- Faculty & Staff
- Career Planning
- Law Library
Cleveland State University
Office of Legal Affairs
Location: Parker Hannifin Administration Center, 2300 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115
Credits: 4 or 6 Credit Hours for Fall or Spring Term; 3 or 5 Credit Hours for Summer Term
Prerequisites: RCC, minimum GPA 2.50, completion of at least 29 credit hours, approval of in-house University Legal Counsel, and approval of site supervisor.
Externship placement is in the Office of Legal Affairs at Cleveland State University. This externship is available fall, spring and summer terms. Students will have an opportunity to work with the Office’s in-house attorneys in a variety of areas, including but not limited to: employment, workers’ compensation, student affairs, academic affairs, construction, contracts, patents, immigration, copyright, and purchasing.
Under the supervision of the in-house attorneys, students will be expected to utilize their research and writing skills, as well as practice problem solving techniques by engaging in the following activities:
1) Analyze and process public record requests and subpoena responses, and handle related correspondence
2) Research and draft legal memoranda and/or correspondence on pending issues
3) Assist with the investigation of workers’ compensation claims, and interact with in-house and special outside counsel regarding required actions and decisions
4) Assist in-house and special outside counsel with answers, position statements and discovery requests for pending litigation and administrative claims
5) Assist in-house attorneys with University policy review and drafting
6) Assist with legislative filing of Board of Trustees approved University Policies
Students may register for 4 credits (16 hours per week) or 6 credits (24 hours per week) in the fall or spring terms; in the summer term, students may register for 3 credits (24 hours per week) or 5 credits (40 hours per week). Students in this externship also participate in an Externship Seminar conducted at the law school by the externship faculty supervisor. Graded Pass/Fail.
Interested students must contact Office of Career Planning, LB 137 in the Student Services Center,216-687-6871, firstname.lastname@example.org. An Externship application, signed by Career Planning and student, a resume and writing sample must be submitted for consideration through Symplicity. The in-house attorneys of the Office of Legal Affairs will make the final selection of students following an interview process.