- Meet C|M|LAW
- Apply Today
- Contact Us
- Law Library
The primary mission of the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Library is to serve the students, faculty, and staff of the Law School and the Cleveland State University community. We also welcome members of the Bar and public who wish to use our collection for conducting legal research. It is our desire to provide an environment conducive to research, reading, and the legitimate use of library materials and services. To foster this environment, it is necessary that all users of our facilities act in a manner which follows our rules and is considerate of the rights of other patrons. Any behavior or condition that disrupts the orderly use of the library, may damage or otherwise harm library material, furnishings, furniture or equipment or affects the staff’s ability to provide service, is prohibited. The Law Library reserves the right to ask library users to provide student I.D. or other identification, and upon request library users will be expected to comply with this request. Persons who act in a manner inconsistent with library rules and expected conduct may be asked to leave the library and violators may in addition be subject to action by appropriate enforcement authority.
The following rules apply to all that enter the Law Library. We ask that you notify a Law Library staff member if you perceive there has been a violation of the these rules.
1) Food and non-alcoholic beverages are permitted in the Law Library. Patrons should remove their waste, including unconsumed liquids.
2) Loud and/or extended conversations are disruptive to other library patrons and are not allowed in the Law Library. The reference area has been designated for light conversation and meeting with other students.
3) The use of mobile phones is discouraged throughout the Law Library. We recommend you leave the library if you need to talk to anyone on a mobile phone. Please be respectful of those who are trying to study.
4) The wearing of shoes is required in the Law Library.
5) Please do not put your feet on the furniture.
6) The Law Library is not responsible for lost or stolen personal articles. Belongings should not be left unattended.
7) Children may not be left unattended in the Law Library. Parents, guardians and/or the accompanying adult will be held responsible for their behavior.
8) Loitering, blocking access, making disruptive noises, using abusive or foul language, and threatening or harassing others, or otherwise causing a dangerous or disruptive situation is prohibited in the Law Library.
9) Library equipment may not be unplugged to accommodate non-library equipment.
10) Study rooms are provided for the use of Cleveland-Marshall law students, faculty, and staff. Law students have first priority in the use of these study rooms.
11) The Law Library computer lab is for the sole use of Cleveland-Marshall law students, faculty, and staff.
12) Only service are animals permitted in the Law Library.
13) Tobacco use in any form is not permitted in the Law Library.
14) All patrons must abide by posted hours. No patrons are permitted in the building before opening or after the posted closing.
Law students in particular should also make sure that their behavior conforms with the Student Honor Code. Section VI of the Code which addresses "Misuse of Law Library and other Law School books, materials and equipment" is a rule especially pertinent to the use of library resources. Under this rule, it is a violation for a student:
A.) To hide or otherwise make Law School materials unavailable to other students in order to put others at a disadvantage in performing a Law School assignment.
B.) To use a Law School computer or a research terminal for work undertaken in the course of outside employment or for other non-Law School purposes.
No person will be denied opportunity for employment or education or be subjected to discrimination in any project, program, or activity because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, handicap, or veteran’s status.
Rev. Nov. 2012