The Law Library offers Legal Research Seminars. These Seminars are for C|M|LAW students, including our MLS and LLM students. Presented by our team of research librarians, the Seminars discuss resources critical to successful legal practice and scholarly writing, as well as focus on research skills law firms and courts are seeking when hiring associates and clerks. Hands-on research exercises are often included in the Seminars.
Key Points about the Law Library Spring 2017 Legal Research Seminars:
- We recently changed the name of our Seminars - from "Research Certificate Seminar" to Legal Research Seminars. No worries! All student points carry over to our new Seminar series!
- You do not need to register to take a Seminar - simply come to the Seminar(s) you want to attend. We take attendance at each Seminar, to be sure you are credited points as you earn them.
Unless otherwise noted, each of the Seminars will take place on Tuesdays, in Law Library Room A059.
- We are offering several 30-minute Seminars, and a few 60-minute in-depth Seminars. Many of the Seminars concern key research skills for students planning on working this summer.
- You earn 12.5 points for attending a 30-minute Seminar, and 25 points for attending a 60-minute Seminar. Your Seminar points are good for the entire time you are here at C|M|LAW. [You cannot earn points for attending the same Seminar twice.]
- When you earn 100 points, you are awarded a Legal Research Seminar Letter of Recognition, and you can earn multiple Letters of Recognition.
- * Special Prize * If you earn a Letter of Recognition within the 2016-2017 academic year, you will be entered into a drawing for a $150 Amazon gift card (to be awarded at the end of the academic year).
Spring 2017 Semester Legal Research Seminars
Unless otherwise noted, the Spring 2017 Seminars are on Tuesdays in Law Library Room A059.
- January 24, 4:30pm-5pm - Westlaw Refresher
- Wednesday, February 1, 4:30pm-5pm - Bloomberg Law Refresher
- February 7, 4:30pm-5pm - Lexis Advance Refresher
- February 14, 4:50pm-5:50pm - Bluebooking
- February 21, 4:30pm-5pm - Ravel Law Research System
- February 28, 4:30pm-5pm - Fastcase Research System
- March 21, 4:30pm-5pm - Cost-Effective Searching on Lexis Advance & Westlaw
- March 28, 4:50pm-5:50pm - Ohio Legal Research "Crash Course" for Your Summer Associate Experience (60 mins. Laura)
- April 4, 4:50pm-5:50pm - Getting Ready to Clerk - Features C|M|Law alumni who will discuss typical research projects done by clerks.
For additional information on the Law Library Legal Research Seminars, contact Laura Ray, Outreach & Instructional Services Librarian, at 216-687-6880 or email@example.com.
LER 2/16, 8/16, 11/16, 1/17