Law Library Legal Research Seminars are for C|M|LAW students, including our MLS and LLM students.
Law Library Legal Research Seminars are available online via the Westlaw TWEN platform. You earn points for completing an online Seminar by correctly answering 3/4 of the questions on that Seminar’s quiz. Your Seminar points are good for the entire time you are here at C|M|LAW. When you earn 100 points, you are awarded a Law Library Legal Research Letter of Recognition and a Digital Badge, which you can post to your LinkedIn page. You can earn multiple Letters and Digital Badges.
Online (via TWEN) Law Library Legal Research Seminars
- Starting Research with Secondary Sources – Why recreate the wheel? Examine how secondary sources explain and analyze “the law” for you, as well as cite primary authority. [17:02 mins; 12.5 points]
- Westlaw Overview – [10:48 mins; 12.5 points] – Leap beyond Google and start to harness this legal research gtiant. Understand big box and pre-filtered searching, as well as how to print/download/email search results.
- KeyCite – [10:16 mins; 12.5 points] – Why is a red flag different from a yellow flag, and what should you do when you see either one? Learn how to use the Westlaw citator service to update and expand your research.
- Lexis Advance Overview – [21:11 mins; 12.5 points] – One more time, leap beyond Google and start to harness this legal research gtiant. Understand big box and pre-filtered searching, as well as how to print/download/email search results.
- Shepard’s – [11:54 mins; 12.5 points] – Why is a red stop sign different from a yellow triangle, and what should you do when you see either one? Learn how to use the Lexis Advance citator service to update and expand your research.
- Terms & Connectors Searching – Explore the power of search techniques beyond natural language searching. Learn the basics of combining terms & phrases in effective search statements. [10:48 mins; 12.5 points]
- Bluebooking – For faster legal drafting, review how to effectively apply citation and style rules, as well as abbreviation and jurisdiction tables. [38:47 mins; 25 points]
- Administrative Law – [29:59 mins; 25 points] – Break through the mysteries of agency rulemaking and case adjudication. Learn the key resources for finding federal and Ohio agency regulations and decisions.
- Bioethics Resources & Scholarly Writing – Examine a wide array of bioethics resources, and learn how these resources can be used to select a paper topic and conduct effective research on that topic. [28:33 mins; 25 points]
During the Spring semester, we also have two live 60-minute Seminars:
- Ohio Legal Research Crash Course – We'll examine key Ohio research resources, as well as discuss effective strategies and best practices for their use. [25 points]
- Getting Ready to Clerk – Informal discussion with guest alumni speakers on the firm/work environment - how research projects are assigned, typical research projects, expected work product, networking, and more. [25 points]
For more information on the Law Library Legal Research Seminars, contact Laura Ray, Outreach & Instructional Services Librarian, at 216-687-6880 or email@example.com.