Law Library Legal Research Seminars are for C|M|LAW students, including our MLS and LLM students.
Law Library Legal Research Seminars are available online via the Westlaw TWEN platform. You earn points for completing an online Seminar by correctly answering 3/4 of the questions on that Seminar’s quiz. Your Seminar points are good for the entire time you are here at C|M|LAW. When you earn 100 points, you are awarded a Law Library Legal Research Letter of Recognition and a Digital Badge, which you can post to your LinkedIn page. You can earn multiple Letters and Digital Badges.
Online (via TWEN) Law Library Legal Research Seminars
- Starting Research with Secondary Sources – Why recreate the wheel? Examine how secondary sources explain and analyze “the law” for you, as well as cite primary authority. [17:02 mins; 12.5 points]
- Bluebooking – For faster legal drafting, review how to effectively apply citation and style rules, as well as abbreviation and jurisdiction tables. [38:47 mins; 25 points]
- Administrative Law – Break through the mysteries of agency rulemaking and case adjudication. Learn the key resources for finding federal and Ohio agency regulations and decisions. [29:59 mins; 25 points]
- Cost Effective Federal Legislative History: Congress.gov & GPO.gov – Understand the importance of, and materials generated in, the federal legislative process. See how to find key materials in the freely-available Congress.gov and GPO.gov. [17:33 mins; 12.5 points]
- Bioethics Resources & Scholarly Writing – Examine a wide array of bioethics resources, as well as learn how these resources can be used to select a paper topic and conduct effective research on that topic. [28:33 mins; 25 points]
- HeinOnline – Review the wide array of content (eg, law journals, session laws, foreign law), date coverage, and unique features of this full-text “database of databases.” [16:49 mins.; 12.5 points]
- Bloomberg Law Overview – Learn basic search features, and review content not available on Lexis Advance & Westlaw. [ 25:39 mins; 12.5 points]
- Practical Law by Westlaw – Review the specialized practice areas, resources and features of this unique Westlaw product. [13:44 mins; 12.5 points]
In the Seminars listed below, you will learn big box & pre-filtered searching, how to print/download/email search results, how to use citator services to update and expand your research, and the basics of combining terms & phrases in effective search statements. All of these Seminars are also online (via TWEN):
- Westlaw Overview [20:03 mins; 12.5 points]
- KeyCite [10:16 mins; 12.5 points]
- Lexis Advance Overview [21:11 mins; 12.5 points]
- Shepard's [11;54 mins; 12.5 points]
- Terms & Connectors Searching [10:48 mins; 12.5 points]
During the Spring semester, we will also have two live 60-minute Seminars (TBA):
- Ohio Legal Research Crash Course – We'll examine key Ohio research resources, as well as discuss effective strategies and best practices for their use. [25 points]
- Getting Ready to Clerk – An informal discussion with guest alumni speakers on the firm/work environment - how research projects are assigned, typical research projects, expected work product, networking, and more. [25 points]
For more information on the Law Library Legal Research Seminars, contact Laura Ray, Outreach & Instructional Services Librarian, at 216-687-6880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.