The Law Library offers Legal Research Seminars. These Seminars are for C|M|LAW students, including our MLS and LLM students. Presented by our team of research librarians, the Seminars discuss resources critical to successful legal practice and scholarly writing, as well as focus on research skills law firms and courts are seeking when hiring associates and clerks. Hands-on research exercises are often included in the Seminars.
Key Points about the Law Library Spring 2017 Legal Research Seminars:
- We recently changed the name of our Seminars - from "Research Certificate Seminar" to Legal Research Seminars. No worries! All student points carry over to our new Seminar series!
- There are two TWEN-based Seminars you can "attend" at your convenience - these Seminars will be available through Friday, 4/25. [At TWEN, click the "Add Course" button to display the C|M|Law Library Legal Research Seminars course in your "My Courses" list.]
- You do not need to register to take a live Seminar - simply come to the Seminar(s) you want to attend. We take attendance at each Seminar, to be sure you are credited points as you earn them.
Unless otherwise noted, each of the live Seminars takes place on Tuesdays, in Law Library Room A059.
- You earn 12.5 points for attending a live 30-minute Seminar, and 25 points for attending a live 60-minute Seminar. You earn points for “attending” a TWEN-based Seminar by correctly answering at least 3/4 of the questions on that Seminar‘s quiz. Your Seminar points are good for the entire time you are here at C|M|Law. [You cannot earn points for attending the same Seminar twice.]
- When you earn 100 points, you are awarded a Legal Research Seminar Letter of Recognition, and you can earn multiple Letters of Recognition.
- * Special Prize * If you earn a Letter of Recognition within the 2016-2017 academic year, you will be entered into a drawing for a $150 Amazon gift card (to be awarded at the end of the academic year).
Legal Research Seminars Schedule - Spring 2017 Semester
Unless otherwise noted, the live Spring 2017 Seminars are on Tuesdays in Law Library Room A059.
- TWEN - Scholarly Writing (21:51 minutes; 25 points)
- TWEN - Research Management with Zotero (9:35 minutes; 8.5 points)
- January 24, 4:30pm-5pm - Westlaw Refresher
- February 7, 4:30pm-5pm - Lexis Advance Refresher
- Wednesday, February 8, 4:30pm-5pm - Bloomberg Law Refresher
- February 14, 4:50pm-5:50pm - Bluebooking
- February 21, 4:30pm-5pm - Ravel Law Research System
- February 28, 4:30pm-5pm - Fastcase Research System
- March 21, 4:30pm-5pm - Cost-Effective Searching on Lexis Advance & Westlaw
- March 28, 4:50pm-5:50pm - Ohio Legal Research "Crash Course" for Your Summer Associate Experience (60 mins. Laura)
- April 4, 4:50pm-5:50pm - Getting Ready to Clerk - Features C|M|Law alumni who will discuss typical research projects done by clerks.
For additional information on the Law Library Legal Research Seminars, contact Laura Ray, Outreach & Instructional Services Librarian, at 216-687-6880 or email@example.com.
LER 2/16, 8/16, 11/16, 1/17