The Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association (CMLAA) is hosting its signature annual continuing legal education event, “Legends of the Law,” in which local legal icons will draw upon their distinguished careers to highlight the changes in the operation of law over time and how the legal field has adapted. The all-day event will take place Friday, November 17 at Cleveland State University’s Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.
The event will feature discussion from 11 of the 30 living members of Cleveland-Marshall’s Hall of Fame, separated into four panels: Legends of Business, Academics, the Bench, and the Bar. Speakers will include judges from the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio and Ohio Court of Appeals, Eighth Appellate District, executives from DHL Supply Chain Americas, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, and Cleveland-Cliffs Inc, and partners and/or legal counsel from Jones Day, Baker & Hostetler LLP, Giffen & Kaminski, and the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority.
The event is open to the public and paid admission includes materials, continental breakfast and lunch. Those seeking continuing legal education credits can receive 6.25 hours for an additional fee. All proceeds will benefit the Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Scholarship Fund. For more details or to register, contact the CMLAA at email@example.com or REGISTER HERE.
Legends of the Law Panelists:
Panel I: Legends of Business
- Mark Smolik | General Counsel Chief Compliance Officer, DHL Supply Chain Americas
- Richard Stovsky | Vice Chairman, Midwest Region, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- P. Kelly Tompkins | Chief Operating Officer & Executive Vice President, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Panel II: Legends in Academics
- Sheryl King Benford | Chief Legal Officer, Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
- Stephen G. Sozio | Partner, Jones Day
Panel III: Legends from the Bench
- Dan A. Polster | Judge, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Melody Stewart | Judge, Ohio Court of Appeals, Eighth Appellate District
- Patricia A. Blackmon | Judge, Court of Appeals, Eighth Appellate District
Panel IV: Legends from the Bar
- José C. Feliciano | Partner, Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Karen Giffen | Attorney at Law, Giffen & Kaminski
- Kerin Lyn Kaminski | Attorney at Law, Giffen & Kaminski
Moderator: Dean Lee Fisher, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law