City of Cleveland Law Department,
Location: Cleveland City Hall, 601 Lakeside Avenue, Room 106, Cleveland, OH 44114
Credits: 4 or 6 Credit Hours for Fall or Spring Term; 3 or 5 Credit Hours for Summer Term
Prerequisites: RCC; minimum GPA 2.50; preference for a student with a Legal Intern Certificate; and approval of site supervisor.
Externship placement is in the City of Cleveland Law Department, with rotation through the six sections.
· Litigation: Represent the City in matters pending in various forums, including matters involving civil-rights and police misconduct claims, contracts and construction disputes, environmental issues, and victim of property damage.
· Labor and Employment: Counsels City departments on labor and employment matters, defends departments in employment litigation and administrative hearings, and negotiates with labor unions.
· Health, Environment, Port Control & Utilities: Protects the health of residents and the environment, and provides environmental support for Brownfield projects and development at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. In addition, this section counsels and represents the City’s electric and water utilities.
· Code Enforcement: Fights for residents’ quality of life through enforcement of the City’s housing, building, fire, health, and zoning codes.
· Legislation and Finance: Counsels the City regarding municipal law and finances, drafts legislation and contracts, and prosecutes tax cases.
· Real Estate and Development: Helps the City’s economic-development efforts by counseling and crafting real-estate and development transactions for job creation.
· Public Safety: Counsels the Department of Public Safety in all areas of law.
Students may register for 4 credits (16 hours per week) or 6 credits (24 hours per week) in the Fall or Spring terms; in the Summer term, students may register for 3 credits (24 hours per week) or 5 credits (40 hours per week). Students also participate in an Externship Seminar conducted at the law school by the externship faculty supervisor. Graded Pass/Fail.
Interested students must contact Office of Career Planning, LB 137 in the Student Services Center,216-687-6871, email@example.com. An Externship application, signed by Career Planning and student, a resume and writing sample must be submitted for consideration through Symplicity. The supervising staff at the Cleveland Department of Law will make the final selection of students.