The primary mission of the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Library is to serve the students, faculty, and staff of the Law School and the Cleveland State University community. We also welcome members of the Bar and public who wish to use our collection for conducting legal research. The Law Library reserves the right to ask library users to provide student I.D. or other identification, and upon request library users will be expected to comply with this request. Persons who act in a manner inconsistent with library rules and expected conduct may be asked to leave the library and violators may in addition be subject to action by appropriate enforcement authority.
The following rules apply to all that enter the Law Library. We ask that you notify a Law Library staff member if you perceive there has been a violation of the these rules.
1) Food and non-alcoholic beverages are permitted in the Law Library. Patrons should remove their waste, including unconsumed liquids.
2) Conversations are permitted in designated collaboration zones. Quite zones are reserved for quiet study; please refrain from loud conversations in these areas.
3) Please refrain from cellphone conversations in designated quiet zones.
4) The wearing of shoes is required in the Law Library.
5) The Law Library is not responsible for lost or stolen personal articles. Belongings should not be left unattended.
6) For their own safety, very young children should not be left unattended in the law library. Parents, guardians and/or the accompanying adult will be held responsible for their behavior.
7) Loitering, blocking access, making disruptive noises, using abusive or foul language, and threatening or harassing others, or otherwise causing a dangerous or disruptive situation is prohibited in the Law Library.
8) Library equipment may not be unplugged to accommodate non-library equipment.
9) Study rooms are provided for the sole use of Cleveland-Marshall law students, faculty, and staff. Prior online registration for study room use is required.
10) The Law Library computer lab is for the sole use of Cleveland-Marshall law students, faculty, and staff.
11) Only service animals are permitted in the Law Library.
12) Tobacco use in any form is not permitted in the Law Library.
13) All patrons must abide by posted hours. No patrons are permitted in the building before opening or after the posted closing.
Law students in particular should also make sure that their behavior conforms with the Student Honor Code. Section VI of the Code which addresses "Misuse of Law Library and other Law School books, materials and equipment" is a rule especially pertinent to the use of library resources. Under this rule, it is a violation for a student:
A.) To hide or otherwise make Law School materials unavailable to other students in order to put others at a disadvantage in performing a Law School assignment.
B.) To use a Law School computer or a research terminal for work undertaken in the course of outside employment or for other non-Law School purposes.
No person will be denied opportunity for employment or education or be subjected to discrimination in any project, program, or activity because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, handicap, or veteran’s status.
Rev. May 2015