The Law Library offers Research Certificate Seminars for C|M|LAW students. Presented by our team of research librarians, the Seminars discuss resources critical to successful legal practice and scholarly writing, as well as focus on research skills law firms and courts are seeking when hiring associates and clerks. Hands-on research exercises are often included in the Seminars.
C|M|LAW students do not need to register in order to take a Seminar - simply come to the Seminar(s) you want to attend. Attendance is taken at each Seminar, to be sure students are credited points as they earn them.
Attendees of hour-long Seminars earn 25 points, and attendees of 30-minute Seminars earn 12.5 points, toward a Law Library Research Certificate. Your points are good for the entire time you are a C|M|Law student, but you cannot earn points for attending the same Seminar twice. Certificates are awarded to C|M|LAW students with 100 Seminar points, and you can earn multiple Certificates.
* Special Prize * If a student earns a Certificate within the 2015-2016 academic year, he/she will be entered into a drawing for a $150 Amazon gift card (to be awarded at the end of the academic year).
Note: Unless otherwise indicated, all of the Spring 2016 Seminars are on Tuesdays in Law Library Room 212.
Spring 2016 Semester Research Certificate Seminars
- February 2nd - 5pm-5:30pm, A059 - Lexis Advance Refresher
- February 9th - 4:50pm-5:50pm, A059 - Bloomberg Law
- February 16th - 5pm-5:30pm, A059 - WestlawNext Refresher
- February 23rd - 4:50pm-5:50pm, A059 - Competitive Intelligence & Company Research - This Seminar will examine key resources for monitoring and tracking companies, products, and industries.
- March 1st - 5pm-5:30pm - Cost-Effective Searching on Lexis Advance & WestlawNext
- March 8th - 4:50pm-5:50pm - Using Ravel Law & Fastcase - Not everyone has Bloomberg Law, Lexis Advance, or WestlawNext at work. This Seminar will examine content and search features of two "alternative" legal research systems.
- Thursday, March 24th - 4:50pm-5:50pm - Administrative Law & Legislative History Research Refresher - This Seminar will help get you back up to speed in these commonly assigned legal research project areas.
- March 29th - 4:50pm-5:50pm - Ohio Legal Research for Your Summer Associate Experience - This Seminar will discuss strategies and resources in Ohio legal research to help you ace your legal research projects.
- April 5th - 4:30pm-5:45pm - Law Building Room 60 - Getting Ready to Clerk - This Seminar is a joint program with the C|M|LAW Office of Career Planning. After a review of Law Library resources and professionalism issues, legal practitioners will discuss the types of projects to expect, how projects are typically assigned, the type of feedback to expect, as well as overall tips and advice on how to best approach your work.
For additional information on the Law Library Research Certificate Seminars, contact Laura Ray, Outreach & Instructional Services Librarian, at 216-687-6880 or.