If the case can not be found in the following databases, the case may possibly be obtained via the court docket or webpage. See Courts & Dockets . For briefs, see Briefs, Motions & Pleadings Guide.
For Tribal Court decisions, see this guide from University of Washington School of Law.
State and Federal Databases:
LexisNexis Academic - (In the C|M|LAW Library) Select US Legal on the left, then Federal & State Cases . In the Jurisdiction dropdown menu, U.S. Supreme Court is listed first, then specific states, then other federal courts. Available in the law library to the public. Available remotely with a CSU ID and Scholar PIN.
Casemaker: (In the C|M|LAW Library) Case law for 50 states & federal. Ask a librarian to sign you on. Covers Ohio reporteds, and unreporteds 1981-current.
Google Scholar - FREE and accessible on the Internet. Select radio button for all legal opinions and journals, federal cases or particular states. As of 11/2009, coverage is: US state appellate and supreme court cases since 1950 (reported cases, some recent unreported cases too), US federal district, appellate, tax and bankruptcy courts since 1923 (reported cases, some recent unreported cases too) and US Supreme Court cases since 1791. Basic Google search capability - all these words, exact phrase, some of these words, without the words.
Court Listener - FREE and accessible on the Internet. Federal court coverage from 1950, all U.S. Supreme Court cases, State cases for recent years. Coverage . Free current awareness for new cases.
Selected Internet Federal Case Law Sites:
United States Supreme Court Opinions :
Federal Circuit Court Cases:
Federal District Court Cases
- Google Scholar (reported 1923-, some recent unreported)
- CourtWeb - Has all Northern District of Ohio case opinions from 2006, reported and unreported. Also has selected federal court opinions from judges who choose to make the opinions available.
- FDSys - US Court Opinions Beta -only contains a few courts, but will include them all eventually. Coverage is 2004 on. Many field searches available including party name, citation and nature of suit. Authenticated with digital signatures.
- Justia Search for U.S. District Court Opinions - 2004-current
- FindLaw - Links to district court opinions and web sites.
- Court Listener - FREE and accessible on the Internet. Federal court coverage from 1950, Coverage . Free current awareness for new cases.
- Google Scholar (1950-) Supreme Court and appellate court cases. Ohio unreported coverage appears to start in 2004.
- Ohio Supreme Court : The Court's web site. Opinions issued since 1992. Full text searchable.
- Consumer Law Opinions - Common Pleas & Appellate: See the Ohio Attorney General's Online Public Inspection File - OPIF . 1984-current.
- LLMC Digital - PDF copies of older Ohio opinions. Includes the standard Ohio State Reports, Ohio Appellate Reports, but includes reporters such as Disney's Cincinnati Cases, Gotshall's Reports and Tappan's Cleveland Cases which are not on Westlaw or Lexis. Accessible remotely by CSU Students and Faculty, accessible in the library to the public.
- Eighth District Cases - 1990-2005
- Ohio Appellate Districts Map
- The Public Library of Law has Ohio appellate and Supreme Court cases from 1997.
- Common pleas court opinions: Some are available via the Ohio Supreme Court pull-down menu (select "Miscellaneous" as the source). The Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas posts some of its opinions on its web site. For other courts, opinions may be available via the courts' web pages or dockets. See Courts & Dockets
You may also want to try the following custom search engines: Ohio Primary Materials ; Everything Ohio Law
Cases from All States:
Revised SA 11/15/11