Cleveland State University recognized Cleveland-Marshall College of Law alumnus Steven Potash '78, President and CEO of OverDrive, as the college’s 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award recipient. Potash received the honor at the October 6 awards ceremony, on the basis of his distinguished record of service, leadership and professional achievements as part of Homecoming Weekend.
Building on the experiences of the legal legends of Northeast Ohio, this special CMLAA CLE event features four interactive presentations from 12 C|M|LAW Hall of Fame members: Legends of Business, Legends from the Bar, Legends from the Bench, and Legends in Academics. Each presentation will draw distinctions of career moments and highlight the changes in the operation of law overtime and how the legal field has adapted.
Legends of Business
- Mark Smolik | General Counsel Chief Compliance Officer, DHL Supply Chain Americas
- Richard P. Stovsky | Vice Chairman, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- P. Kelly Tompkins | Chief Operating Officer & Executive Vice President, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Legends in Academics
- Sheryl King Benford | Chief Legal Officer, Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
- Avery Friedman | Civil Rights Lawyer & Law Professor
- Stephen G. Sozio | Partner, Jones Day
Legends from the Bench
- Dan A. Polster | Judge, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Melody Stewart | Judge, Ohio Court of Appeals, Eighth Appellate District
- Patricia A. Blackmon | Judge, Court of Appeals, Eighth Appellate District
Legends from the Bar
- José C. Feliciano | Partner, Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Karen Giffen | Attorney at Law, Giffen & Kaminski
- Kerin Lyn Kaminski | Attorney at Law, Giffen & Kaminski
Organized by Nicholas E. Froning, Attorney at Law
$160 Full Day Admission
$90 Half Day Admission (morning or afternoon)
$50 for non-attorneys
$25 for students
Admission includes a light breakfast and lunch.
“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Earlier this week, a racist and anti-LGBTQ posting was found on Cleveland State University’s campus which urged LGBTQ students to kill themselves. These ugly and hateful postings are unacceptable and have been removed.
We all must strongly condemn the message presented in the postings. Harassment and abuse are unwelcome at Cleveland-Marshall and CSU. Threats of violence are not permitted whatsoever, and will not be tolerated. These cowardly acts undermine the mission and values of our academic community.
“Success is a journey, not a destination.” – Arthur Ashe
This kick-off event for the CMLAA Mentor Program offers an opportunity for alumni mentors to meet their 1L mentees and begin their mentoring relationship.
Sponsored by the Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association Professional Opportunities Committee.
This meeting is open to everyone and anyone who has interest in copyright, trademark and/or patent law!
“If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?” Hillel the Elder
“If not us, who? If not now, when?” – President John F. Kennedy
Our thoughts and prayers go out this morning to all those who have been affected by the tragic shootings in Las Vegas.
“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” —John Maxwell